- To encourage and showcase outstanding writing and artwork in grades 3, 4 and 5 (AppleSeed).
- To use writing and visual arts as a means of bringing people together for a greater appreciation and understanding of each other’s unique talents.
Each magazine is produced biannually by the CREST Enrichment Partnership under the direction of Ms. Kristen Hollenbeck, CREST Enrichment Director, and high school student volunteers from Andover, Lawrence, North Andover, Methuen, Haverhill, GLTS and MASCO. Students interested in serving as an editorial intern should contact Ms. Hollenbeck
AppleSeed was started in the 2003-2004 school year. The magazines are published biannually in mid January and early May (2,500 copies each). Each contributor receives two copies at no cost. Each participating school receives 100 copies at no cost. Many copies are distributed throughout the community (libraries, community centers, art centers, senior centers, etc). Additional copies can be purchased for a nominal charge.
- All public school students (grades 3, 4, 5) in Andover, Boxford, Middleton and Methuen and participating schools in Haverhill (Silver Hill Horace Mann Charter) and Lawrence (Wetherbee, Oliver Partnership).
- St. Augustine School in Andover
- St. Michael School in North Andover
- Sacred Hearts School in Haverhill
- Writing programs run by the participating libraries featuring works of students in these grades.
Note: Private schools and other public schools interested in participating in AppleSeed should contact CREST for more information (fee involved).
Submission Form Required
Students who want to submit to AppleSeed (grades 3-5) need to attach the CREST submission form to their piece. These are available from the AppleSeed advisor at your school.
Deadline for Winter issue is November 4, 2016.
Deadline for Spring issue is February 2, 2017.