- To encourage and showcase outstanding writing and artwork in grades 6, 7 and 8 (AppleSauce).
- To use writing and visual arts as a means of bringing people together for a greater appreciation and understanding of each other’s unique talents.
Each magazine is produced semiannually by the CREST Enrichment Partnership and high school student volunteers from AHS, MASCO, GLTS, LHS, and MHS. Generally, AppleSauce is published in March and May. The editor is Ms. Kristen Hollenbeck, CREST Enrichment Director. AppleSauce was started in the 1999-2000 school year. The magazines are a collaborative effort of CREST and the advisors of the participating schools. A staff of high school students helps to edit and produce the publications. Students interested in serving on this staff should contact us. Each contributor receives two copies at no cost. Each participating school receives 100 copies at no cost. Many copies are distributed throughout the community (libraries, community centers, art centers, senior centers, etc). Additional copies can be purchased for a nominal charge.
- All public schools in Andover, Boxford, Middleton and Methuen, as well as participating schools in Lawrence, North Andover and Haverhill (grades 6 through 8).
- St. Augustine School in Andover, St. Michael School in North Andover, Sacred Hearts School in Haverhill.
- Writing programs run by the participating libraries featuring works of students in these grades.
Note: Private schools and other public schools interested in participating in AppleSeed should contact CREST for more information (fee involved).
Submission form required
Students who want to submit to AppleSauce (grades 6-8) need to attach the CREST submission form to their piece. These are available from the AppleSauce advisor at your school.